There is a constant onslaught of proposed bills threatening homeschool freedoms in California. The California Legislature introduces thousands of bills each legislative session. We cannot fight all these bills alone. That is why we need you to partner with us in advocating for homeschool freedoms!
Whether you attended Homeschool Freedom Day in 2022, Virtual Capitol Day in 2021, or are planning on catching up online, we still have an opportunity for you! The legislature is in full swing, and we need families to be ready if and when the time comes to advocate and defend our private homeschooling freedoms.
A homeschool family’s relationship with their state legislators and their staff is one of the biggest factors in getting bad laws stopped when it comes to our homeschool freedoms. We will train you in how to build relationships with your legislators. Defending private homeschooling isn’t something any one person, or even one organization, like FPM and CHEA, can do on their own. You can help preserve our freedoms by contacting and giving your legislator information about private homeschooling.
A small time investment today will help protect your freedoms for years to come!
Here’s what you can do to help stop bad policy: know how to effectively contact your California legislators, learn about the legislature and bills, and be equipped and ready to advocate. We will teach you all you need to know! Click the button above to join the Advocacy from Home team.
Many of you are already trained and prepared through previous events or online videos. Once you understand how to be an advocate, the first goal is to establish contact with your state legislators. This can be as simple as writing a short letter introducing yourself as a homeschooler or setting up a brief meeting at your legislator’s local district office.
Putting a friendly face to homeschooling is what is needed to show legislators and their staff an accurate representation of homeschoolers in California.
Advocating for Homeschool Freedoms doesn’t take much time, just enough to let your legislators meet homeschoolers that they represent!
It’s As Easy As…
- Complete our quick, online application for Advocacy from Home here. If you have already applied, send us an email and let us know that you would like to participate again!
- If your application is approved, we will send you our Advocacy from Home Training Videos and Homeschooling Information packets to give to your legislators.
- Get in touch with your state legislators:
- Write a quick letter introducing yourself as a homeschooler/homeschooling family.
- Set up a meeting with your legislator in-person, virtually, or over the phone. It can be a simple 5-10 minute introduction.
- Keep up to date on FPM’s Action Alerts to know when to contact your legislator about supporting or opposing a certain bill. Sign up for our emails here.
- Help us reach our goal of contacting all 120 state legislators by letting us know that you contacted your legislator!
We hope you will join us!